Real Estate and Real Life on Bainbridge Island, Washington.

Island Life @ Home on Bainbridge Island


Friday, March 5, 2010

Finding a good listing agent to sell your home~

I've been busy this week helping three families in three different states find a good agent to help them list, market and sell their homes. One of the services an agent can perform is to sift through all the agents out there and help make a referral to the best available, and I love doing it.

Each of these potential sellers were first-time home buyers, so this is their first time trying to sell a home, which they have quickly learned is a totally different from buying.

In the process of locating a good agent for them, I've written several emails answering their questions about what to look for in an agent they're hiring to sell their homes. I thought I'd share those tips here, because they are pertinent for any seller, however experienced they might be, especially in today's difficult market.

1. Most important, you need to feel a connection with your agent and trust s/he will communicate well and present your home well. Communication, trust and confidence. As in any close relationship (which is what you end up with with your listing agent,) those qualities need to be apparent right from the start--things rarely get better! Trust your instincts.

2. I think a clear marketing plan is the minimum. It doesn’t need to be elaborate, but this is the nuts and bolts: “When would be your ideal time to get an offer? Let’s aim for the month of April to capitalize on the rebate. Let’s spend the next week preparing your home inside and out. I can make a list of top professionals available –can I call any now? We’ll stage your home next because I like to have photos shot by x, newspaper ad copy to the city papers by y, listing complete in my office on z, ads out that weekend, the agent/broker’s open house on Thursday and the public open house on Sunday. Your listing will be carried in these five online web sites.”

That’s my spiel, or something like that. Some offices tour an agent’s listing prior to a full agent’s open. You just want to see a plan. When you can be confident that the agent has a clear plan, you can relax and take care of what's on your list to prepare for a great sale.

3. I like to look at an agent’s marketing materials, ad copy and photographs from prior listings to make sure they’re professional. The photos and copy online will be how 90% of your buyers see your home, and you want the best quality photos and sparkling, detailed and perfectly grammatical copy. Every listing will end up on the internet, and a listing with dark, cluttered photos and ungrammatical language is like trying to sell a dirty car on blocks.

I think staging is essential. Nobody lives in their house the way it needs to appear to sell well. Look at a few listings online and see which ones look inviting and which ones look cluttered--when do you see the house and when are you distracted by possessions? It takes skill and a gracious attitude to convince many Sellers that they have to start living in a home that's put together to sell, but an agent who skips this step isn't doing anyone any favors. Some agents have the abilities, training and tools to stage a house themselves, and some will refer it out. Either way, you need fresh eyes (and noses) to help you see your house as others see it.

An agent's web page—either corporate or individual--is important. You can ask how often listings sell within their own office and if the listing agent will also represent the seller, or how they handle that. I personally do NOT like it when the listing agent is a dual agent and also represents the buyer. I don’t think that can be done well. I will show my listings to as many buyers as possible, but I explain to them that I am representing the Seller, and that if they decide to write an offer, I would like to refer them to one of my colleagues so their interests are fully and separately represented. Then the Seller has a strong and uncompromised agent as well.

4.  I also would want to know if they recommend you have your house pre-inspected prior to listing and how they handle the contingencies in a Buyer’s offer. Pay attention to how well they negotiate on their own behalf. Are they able to deliver difficult information in a clear and positive way? Is this someone who comes with recommendations from satisfied clients, and what is their experience in both years of service, and in terms of being up-to-date on all the latest technology and real estate rules, regulations and laws?

5. Finally, how much positive energy can they bring to the effort? I often think my most important role--decidely true today--is to be a shock absorber for my clients. There's that car metaphor again. I don't withhold information, but I can absorb the emotional content of communication and make sure I have all the information needed to avoid creating worry or alarm. An experienced professional with a postive attitude can make for a smooth road and a successful trip. End of metaphors, I promise!  This is a long blog--thanks for sticking with me.

Have a great day! The sun is shining on Bainbridge Island, the flowering trees are in bloom and the daffodils are up. Time to sell some real estate!

No comments: